Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Vonnegut library opens to rave reviews

Chris Moore has read all of Kurt Vonnegut’s novels several times, and when he heard there would be a new museum and library honoring the Hoosier author, he got excited.

Moore, 22, drove up from Linton, Ind., to attend the grand opening of the Kurt Vonnegut Memorial Library today in downtown Indianapolis — the city where the author was born and raised.

“I’ve always felt connected to his writings,” Moore said. “My English teacher sophomore year (of high school) first introduced me to his work, and I’ve loved him ever since.”

Moore and dozens of other visitors explored the library, which contains many items owned by Vonnegut, including his Purple Heart, writing desk and typewriter, reading glasses, books and even a pack of Pall Mall cigarettes. The walls of the rooms are covered with photos of the author as well as biographical information and famous quotes. One wall offers a timeline of Vonnegut’s professional and personal life, along with another timeline showing what events were happening around the world during that same period. And, his novels are available for purchase.

1 comment:

  1. Are you paying more than $5 / pack of cigarettes? I'm buying all my cigarettes at Duty Free Depot and I save over 70%.

    ReplyDelete